Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Evolution of a logo

Four years ago, I met a wonderful woman named Connie. She makes fabulous paper products (notepads, cards, etc) that are just perfect for moms and teachers. I met her at the opening day carnival for AYSO when I was trying to drum up business. I had nothing but some cheap Vistaprint business cards, flyers I ran off on yellow copy paper, and matching shirts for my mom and me. We quickly threw together a booth, and I somehow found 18 terrific students that needed my help. I was more than thankful.

After that day, I knew that I wanted to pursue this as a business. I recruited Connie's help in designing a logo. It was a cute logo that looked something like this (this is a picture of our cake from our one year anniversary party):


It worked for the time being, but I decided that I was in LOVE with the Starbucks logo and I wanted something similar.  I had a friend design it for me, and we ended up with this:


That also worked for a while, but I wanted to jazz it up a bit and really brand my company. If I was going to invest some money into a logo, I wanted it to be AWESOME! And I wanted to love it. I did what most people in distress do nowadays, and I posted up a request on Facebook. I asked all of my friends for recommendations, and I came across the ever-so-talented Heather L Myers. Her business, Heather L Myers Design, would be the perfect fit for me. (She also has River&Bridge, a super cute place to go for invitations, announcements, and cards). We chatted a bit on the phone, I described my office to her, and we went from there. She sent me several designs, and it took me several weeks to decide what I wanted. Together (and by together, I mean she), we came up with this:


It was just PERFECT! I loved the blue because it matched the color in my office, and I loved the combination of fonts. However, I didn't really fall in head-over-heels love love LOVE with my logo until we started doing some branding together. Here's a picture of the new business cards I just received in the mail:


Aren't they just the cutest?! We made a flyer template and a cover page to match, and I'm dying over the new window design. I hope to have the new windows in place by the end of November when we start our group tutoring on-site. 

If you're in the business for some new business branding, I can't recommend her enough. She's fast, creative, and fabulous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment